PubMed Reference: Kung KY, Shek SY, Yeung CK, Chan HH. Lasers Surg Med. 2019 Jan;51:14-22.
- 12 female subjects (mean age 47.3 years, range 37-57; Fitzpatrick skin types III to IV) with benign pigmentary disorders
- PicoWay 532nm and 1064nm treatments at 2 to 6-week intervals
- Blinded evaluation of % clearance using clinical photography
- Follow-ups at 4, 8, and 12 weeks after the last treatment session
- Over 90% of all pigments achieved good or excellent response (>50% lightening) at both 1-month and 2-month follow-ups
- Clinical improvement was better for freckles and lentigines than melasma
- Lower rate of PIH induced by picosecond laser is explained by a much more targeted photomechanical and lesser photothermal effects than Q-switched laser